Saturday, July 16, 2022

Language can alienate too

A language can connect but can alienate as well. When writing a post in Taiwanese, I may be unwittingly alienating my Taiwanese friends. Not only because they can't read it, but also because it can be interpreted as a gesture of intolerance. I noticed that many people who post on Facebook in Taiwanese often denigrate Mandarin users in Taiwan. However, they themselves may be far more proficient in Mandarin than in Taiwanese. If they write in POJ, their message of denigration cannot be conveyed to their targets, so they write in Chinese characters. I suspect that they would not dare speak to strangers in Taiwanese when in in-person communication situations. That's why Mandarin keeps spreading and Taiwanese keeps on declining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think!