Sunday, November 21, 2021

If Stephen Kranshen is right...

This was the first time I attended a Hokkien mass really "attentively" for the first time. 

It was doubly tiring! But I think I did OK given that I had practiced the day before.

I understood about 60 to 70% of the homily. If Stephen Krashen is right, I will be super proficient in Hokkien soon (hopefully)! 

After mass, I chatted with the priest.

He who had a Chiang-chiu accent during the mass, actually had a Choân-chiu accent when chatting informally! He is actually from Pak-tâu, which is a Tâng-oaⁿ accent area, a heavier accent than Siā-á for that matter! (Siā-á/Āu-káng Tâng-oaⁿ accent is closer to Taipei Standard accent, without centralized vowels.)

Perhaps owing to the fact that Hokkien mass is more prevalent in southern Taiwan, Chiang-chiu accent is uniformly used for masses: For example sèⁿ-miā, Goán, etc.

Anyway, I will go with the flow. 

After that, I went along with some of the parishioners there to Shilin parish, where there was a pān-toh for Christ the King.

An Indonesian choir was performing. They were awesome!

The youth group performed a dance to the tune of "Kimetsu." It's popular even here 😮




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think!