Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Better than 5-star hotel: IAWE conference in Hong Kong and Guangzhou (Day 1)


I went to Hong Kong and Guangzhou to attend the World Englishes conference. Because I was not able to get the grant, I did not have enough budget to stay at a hotel. So I stayed at a friend's house. With this view from the veranda of Alan's room, I think it is better than a 5-star hotel.

Not only that the view from the veranda is magnificent, the interior design, which Alan did himself, is also very tasteful. Thank you, Alan, for letting me stay in your beautiful house!

The vegetarian Indian meal on Cathay Pacific was not enough to fill me up, so I had a snack at a convenience store. Ribena reminds me of my days in England. But not the 咖哩魚蛋.

I felt that the things in the convenience store were roughly four times more expensive than those in Taiwan. The living expenses in Hong Kong seem to be higher than those in Japan.


Alan and his wife Jill taking a late night (early morning?) stroll in the nice park in front of their house. The park was squeaky clean and reminded me of Tokyo or Singapore. Only the next morning did I realize that the park was done very tastefully with a Chinese 養生 theme. (I will introduce that later.)

I was dead tired after a crazy work day that started in Taoyuan-Taipei-Taoyuan, so I went to bed at 1am. (Very early in Hong Kong standards? But way past my usual bedtime.)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. 素敵な写真をありがとう!
    シェアさせてネ!
    香港に行くつもりだったのに、日程を間違って記憶してたの。
    ぐやじ~い!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 香港はマリオットが何軒もあるのにね。
      また次の機会に、マカオも。

      Delete

Please tell me what you think!